Financial Resources

Area Agency on Aging

Some Area Agencies on Aging use funds from the Older Americans Act Title III to modify homes. To locate the Area Agency on Aging in your community, call the Eldercare Locator at (800) 677-1116 or visit

Department of Housing and Community Development

Many cities and towns use Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) to help maintain and upgrade homes. Contact the local Department for more information. A listing of Housing and Community Development Agencies can be found by visiting or calling the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials at toll free (877) 866-2476.

Federal Housing Administration (FHA)

The FHA, which is part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), administers mortgage insurance programs (e.g., Title 1 and Section 203(k)) that can help homebuyers and homeowners secure loans to make home modifications. For more information, visit

Health Insurance

Some private health insurance and long term care insurance plans cover limited home modifications for the elderly or disabled. Check with your insurance provider for more details.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

If the home modifications meet certain conditions, they may be tax deductible. Part of the expense of installing lifts, tubs or showers may be deductible if they increase the resale value of the property and have been prescribed as medically necessary. Consult a tax professional and download a free copy of IRS Publication (502) here. Contact the IRS by visiting or call (800) 829-3676.

Rural Housing Services (RHS) Grants/Loans

Part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the RHS offers various grants and loans for rural, low-income elders. RHS Section (502) Home Ownership Loans may be used to rehabilitate, repair, buy, build, or improve rural homes and related facilities. RHS Section (504), the Very Low-Income Housing Repair Program, provides loans and grants to very low-income persons 62 years and older to repair, improve, or modernize their dwellings or to remove health or safety hazards. To locate the local Rural Development area offices, visit

Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA)

Professional society for individuals and organizations interested in technology and disability. RESNA contributes to the public welfare through scientific, literary, professional and educational activities by supporting the development, dissemination, and utilization of knowledge and practice pertaining to rehabilitation and assistive technology so that all citizens can achieve the highest quality of life. They offer Loans/Grants for people with disabilities and their family members. Visit for your state contact information.

Veterans Administration (VA)

The Veteran's Administration offers programs that pay for renovations needed for accessbility. For more information contact the VA Office at 1-877-222-VETS or

The Catastrophic Illness In Children's Relief Fund

Home accessibility modifications and other medically related expenses are reimbursable, up to $10k per project in many cases. For more information see